Talk to a Bus Accident Lawyer in Mobile, Alabama
A bus accident can cause far more damage than a typical automobile accident. If you are the victim of a bus accident injury, an experienced lawyer bus accident attorney in Mobile, AL can assess your case, determine if you have grounds to file a lawsuit, and help you pursue compensation.
At Jackson & Foster, our knowledgeable bus accident lawyers based in Mobile, AL will fight on your behalf and support you throughout the legal process. Reach out to us today for a free case evaluation.
Common Causes of Bus Accidents
A bus accident injury includes the potential for devastating consequences to large numbers of people. For this reason, bus drivers and the companies they work for are subject to strict restrictions concerning maintenance and drive time than a typical driver of an automobile.
Despite the regulations, there were more than 13.6 fatal accidents per day in 2020 involving large trucks and busses, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Association. These fatalities included 46 school buses, nine inter-city buses, and 86 city transit buses.
Determining the cause of the accidents is often complex but generally falls into one of the following three categories:
- Driver Negligence: This includes, for example, distracted driving, driving under the influence, driving excessive hours, and speeding, among other causes.
- Bus Company Negligence: This includes failing to properly maintain the bus, hiring untrained drivers, and disregarding federal regulations.
- Mechanical Malfunction: This includes defective parts or equipment.
Common Injuries in Bus Accidents
The sheer size, weight, and capacity of buses result in more severe injuries than typical car accidents. Specific injuries involved in bus accident claims include:
- Head, neck, and spinal injuries, including paralysis
- Traumatic brain injury
- Burns and disfigurement
- Broken, crushed, and dislocated bones
- Psychological injuries, including post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, and depression
Bus accidents frequently require immediate medical attention. Even if your injuries are not severe, you should still contact an experienced bus accident lawyer at Jackson & Foster.
Liability in Bus Accidents
Determining the responsible parties in a bus accident can be difficult. Unlike a typical automobile accident where the drivers constitute the responsible parties, a bus accident involves several potentially responsible parties. Determining these parties is critical to any claim for damages you file and depends on the type of bus:
- City Bus: In this case, the liable parties can extend beyond the bus driver to include the city or municipality. In some cases, they will also involve the bus manufacturers. These cases can be challenging to navigate, so reach out to our lawyer with experience with bus accident cases.
- Commercial Bus: The responsible parties in commercial bus accidents could be the driver, company, or manufacturer. Federal law can require commercial bus operators and drivers to maintain detailed records, which can provide evidence to establish responsibility.
- School Bus: School bus accidents may occur partly because of their frequent stops and people disregarding its signs. If you are in an accident involving a school bus, liability could extend beyond the driver.
Naming all responsible parties in your claim is critical. Since identifying the responsible parties in these accidents is challenging, you should seek counsel from an experienced bus accident lawyer in Mobile, Alabama.
Compensation for Bus Accident Victims
Injuries in a bus accident can be catastrophic. Consequently, compensation and damages may be significantly higher. Compensation for bus accident claims may include:
- Existing medical bills
- The cost of future care
- Physical therapy
- Prescription medication
- Lost income and opportunity
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
An experienced bus accident lawyer at Jackson and Foster is available to discuss your case and offer a free evaluation.
Time Limit to File Your Bus Accident Claim
The State of Alabama imposes a statute of limitations on a personal injury claim. Generally, the rules impose a two-year time limit to file bus accident claims. Some circumstances may extend the statute of limitations, but they are exceedingly rare. Therefore, it is in your interest to speak with a bus accident lawyer in Mobile, Alabama, when you are able.
Why Choose Jackson & Foster to Help You with Your Claim
Our professional personal injury lawyers have the experience and dedication you need on your side after a bus accident. We offer a free case consultation, and we work on contingency, so we only get paid if you do.
We will treat your case with personal attention, compassion, and professionalism.
At Jackson & Foster, we dedicate ourselves to putting our experience to work for you. If you are looking for an experienced bus accident lawyer in Mobile, Alabama, contact us online or call (251) 433-6699 to schedule a free case evaluation.
“I was driving through Mobile, AL on a long distance road trip when I was involved in a motor vehicle accident. The experience was horrible. The accident occurred halfway between my parents’ house in Texas and my home in Georgia.
I was referred to Jackson & Foster by a friend of mine and was able to obtain him as representation. They answered all of my questions (there were many) and made sure I understood the process of working with the different insurance companies. They kept me updated on the status of the case so I always knew where we were in the process. They made sure I understood that nothing was going to happen overnight and that these things take time.
Jackson & Foster made this horrible experience of mine a lot easier to navigate. I would definitely use them again and would refer them to anyone looking for somebody that is easy to work with and willing to work for you to make sure the outcome turns out in your favor.”