Car Accidents Are an Unfortunate Reality in Mobile
Mobile is one of Alabama’s busiest cities, making it a hot spot for dangerous traffic accidents. In 2018 alone, 16,126 car accidents occurred in Mobile, equating to approximately 44 crashes per day. 85% of these accidents happen in the most densely populated areas of the county.
Unfortunately, a large percentage of Mobile accidents result in injuries and fatalities. Of the 16,126 accidents in 2018, 4,422 caused injuries, while 74 resulted in fatalities. These statistics show that approximately 25% of Mobile car accidents result in physical harm.
According to Drive Safe Alabama, by 2020, the fatality rate in Alabama car accidents reached one death every nine hours, equating to approximately two to three fatal car accidents per day. Drivers reported traffic accidents in 2020 every three minutes and 55 seconds, with 932 fatalities throughout the year.
Car accidents are an unfortunate reality for all drivers in Mobile, Alabama. Understanding how to respond after an accident helps you protect your rights and seek compensation. At Jackson & Foster Law, we’re here to help you seek the funds you need to recover from your pain and suffering and medical bills.
Mobile’s Most Dangerous Intersections
While car accidents can happen anywhere, certain areas with high traffic densities have much larger risks. Learning about these high-risk areas can help you practice more defensive driving when you enter these intersections. Mobile’s most dangerous intersections and roads may include the following:
- Airport Boulevard x University Boulevard
- Airport Boulevard x Azalea Road
- Cottage Hill Road x University Boulevard
- Airport Boulevard x Hillcrest Road
- Airport Boulevard x Cody Road
- Cottage Hill Road x Hillcrest Road
- Azalea Road x Cottage Hill Road
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents happen for many reasons, though we typically see trends factoring into the most common types of collisions. Understanding these trends can help you learn how to practice safe driving and which complexities to consider with your case after a wreck. The most common causes of car accidents in Mobile and other urban locations may include the following:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving includes texting, manipulating a GPS, talking on the phone, eating, rummaging through a bag, or anything else that takes your eyes off the road or hands off the wheel. According to 2018 crash statistics, distracted driving caused 39 fatalities in Alabama.
- Speeding: Speeding increases your risk of losing control of your vehicle and reduces your ability to respond to changing traffic patterns or sudden events. In 2018, 8,883 accidents in Alabama involved speeding, 139 of which included fatalities.
- Driving under the influence: Driving under the influence of alcohol or any mind-altering substances dampens your reaction times and control abilities. In 2018, 4,119 Alabama car accidents were due to driving under the influence. Of those, 89 resulted in fatalities.
- Night driving: Driving in the dark increases risks for a few reasons. Drivers often feel tired, and the reduced visibility with bright lights creates a dangerous combination. According to 2020 statewide crash statistics, 48% of all fatal accidents happened at night.
- Intersections: Approximately 50% of all car accidents in the United States occur at intersections.
- Vehicle malfunctions: Vehicle failures, like faulty brakes or improper airbag deployments, can cause accidents or worsen their outcomes. Understanding how to proceed with an accident caused by a vehicle-related failure is especially challenging, so you must speak with a car accident attorney in Mobile, AL, for support.
- Road conditions: Dangerous road conditions, like severe potholes or ice, can cause you to lose control of your vehicle. In 2018, 1,086 Alabama crashes happened on icy roads.
- Poor weather: Adverse weather conditions can also affect visibility and vehicle control. Approximately 15% of Alabama car accidents in 2018 occurred in the rain.
- Reckless driving: Reckless driving involves activities that disobey traffic laws, like running stop signs or red lights, speeding, merging without checking blind spots, failing to yield, tailgating, etc. Failing to yield to the right of way caused 23,832 Alabama accidents in 2018, and tailgating caused 22,472.
Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents can be traumatic, life-altering events. Anything from a minor to a life-threatening car accident injury can lead to enormous medical bills, months of rehabilitation, time off work, and many more complications.
Immediately after an accident, drivers often feel so overwhelmed by the event that they overlook minor pains signifying underlying injuries. Seeking medical attention after your accident for your injuries is a critical step in building a successful claim. You may need a confirmed diagnosis to understand your future treatment requirements and costs.
Some common injuries from car accidents include the following:
- Back and neck injuries
- Limb amputations
- Chest injuries
- Concussions and skull injuries
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Crushing injuries
- Bone breaks and fractures
- Eye injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
Car accidents involving injuries are complex cases. If you got hurt during an accident, contact emergency services and seek medical attention, then call our team to speak with a car accident attorney in Mobile, AL. We will help build your case so you can seek the funds you need to recover.
Our team works with leading medical professionals to help us better understand your accident details and future costs. For example, the average cost of a disabling car accident in 2020 was $101,000, though when including quality of life losses and punitive damages, this figure reaches $1.25 million. We can help you understand the complexities of estimating these costs toward seeking a fair settlement offer for your recovery.
Who’s Responsible for My Car Accident?
Liability in a car accident is never simple. While you may think the other driver was clearly at fault, many other factors will contribute to the actual determination. For example, improper road conditions or vehicle malfunctions could involve government organizations or large corporations.
At-fault parties may include the following:
- Other drivers
- Passengers in your vehicle
- Passengers in other vehicles
- Truck drivers
- Bus drivers
- Lyft or Uber drivers
- Employers of the other driver (like a trucking company)
- Government agencies
- Vehicle manufacturers
Why You Need a Mobile Car Accident Lawyer
You need a Mobile car accident lawyer to protect your rights after a car accident because many legal complexities can ruin your chances of seeking compensation. Your case will involve determining liability, collecting evidence, gathering paperwork to prove your damages, and more. You need a legal advisor to ensure you complete these steps with your financial interests in mind.
A car accident attorney in Mobile, AL, knows the state’s complex laws. At Jackson & Foster Law, the steps in developing your case may include:
- Investigate your accident and gather evidence
- Consider all possible accident causes
- Listen to your side of the story
- Work with industry connections, like forensic or medical professionals, to collect information
- Manage documents, including medical records, police reports, claims, etc.
- Communicate with insurance companies on your behalf
- Seek compensation and negotiate your offers
- Take the case to court when necessary
Seeking Compensation With Your Mobile Car Accident Attorney
Depending on the details of your case, your Mobile car accident attorney can help you seek compensation for the following damages:
- Past, present, and future medical expenses
- Property damages
- Lost wages
- Future loss of income or reduced earning abilities
- Temporary or permanent disabilities
- Rehabilitation needs
- Nursing care
- Loss of household services (childcare, transportation, etc.)
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma (PTSD, anxiety, depression, etc.)
- Permanent scarring or disfigurements
- Reduced quality of life
How Your Mobile Auto Accident Lawyer Can Improve Your Settlement
Alabama car accident rules can make seeking compensation tricky. For instance, you must consider the contributory negligence rule.
Contributory negligence is a law that prevents drivers from receiving compensation if they’re partially at fault for the accident. For example, if a driver changes lanes without using their blinker, but you ran a red light that caused the collision, you may be found to be partially liable, which means you may not be able to collect any compensation.
Your Mobile auto accident lawyer understands how these laws work and can fight for your rights if any party attempts to inaccurately pin the blame on you.
Steps To Take After Your Car Accident in Mobile
How you respond immediately after a car accident greatly impacts your claim. If you get into an accident, the steps you take may include.
At the Scene
Receiving medical attention and waiting on emergency services may be important steps after your accident.
If possible and permissible, take photos of any potential evidence, like your vehicle and injuries. You may be able to gather contact information from potential witnesses and insurance information from the involved parties or the police may take these steps.
File a Police Report
Immediately after the accident, you should call 911 if you have injuries. You may be able to call your local police line to file a report for non-emergencies.
You should call the police for every accident, no matter how minor. The report may include vital details regarding your claim, including how the accident happened, potential liability, and each party’s insurance information.
Accept Medical Treatment
You should seek medical treatment for your injuries right after your accident. Accept emergency transportation and treatments when necessary or visit an urgent care or primary physician for more minor pains. Even if you feel mostly OK, being seen by a doctor may be important to your case
Moving forward, you should follow through with all recommended treatments from your doctor. If you deny a treatment, the liable party’s insurance organization may claim that you are not owed compensation for your injuries.
Contact a Mobile Auto Accident Lawyer
After your accident, contact a Mobile auto accident lawyer as soon as possible to begin developing your case.
Call Jackson & Foster Law To Speak With a Car Accident Lawyer in Mobile
If you need a car accident lawyer in Mobile, you’ve come to the right place. Call Jackson & Foster Law at (251) 433-6699 to speak with a professional car accident attorney in Mobile, AL, from our team.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Can You Sue After a Car Accident in Alabama?
The statute of limitations for filing a car accident lawsuit in Alabama typically is two years. Some cases, such as government-related cases, may have more expedited timelines.
Is Alabama a Fault State for Car Accidents?
Yes, Alabama is an at-fault state for car accidents, meaning the at-fault party’s insurance company must pay for all damages. Alabama’s contributory negligence rule prevents you from receiving compensation if you’re partially at fault for the accident.
Why Should You Hire a Car Accident Attorney?
A car accident attorney in Mobile, AL, protects your legal rights and helps you seek maximum compensation for your damages to recover from your accident.
“I was driving through Mobile, AL on a long distance road trip when I was involved in a motor vehicle accident. The experience was horrible. The accident occurred halfway between my parents’ house in Texas and my home in Georgia.
I was referred to Jackson & Foster by a friend of mine and was able to obtain him as representation. They answered all of my questions (there were many) and made sure I understood the process of working with the different insurance companies. They kept me updated on the status of the case so I always knew where we were in the process. They made sure I understood that nothing was going to happen overnight and that these things take time.
Jackson & Foster made this horrible experience of mine a lot easier to navigate. I would definitely use them again and would refer them to anyone looking for somebody that is easy to work with and willing to work for you to make sure the outcome turns out in your favor.”